Find information and forms relating to changes to an apprenticeship or traineeship.

What's on this page

Making changes

There are many different reasons why you might want to make a change to your apprenticeship or traineeship. Whatever the reason and whatever the change, you must:

  • make sure your employer agrees to the change
  • apply to make the change to Regulation and Contract Management (RCM) by using the appropriate form
  • forward the relevant application form to RCM using the fax, email or postal address on the form
  • seek agreement from other parties to the contract such as a parent/guardian if you are under 18.

RCM will advise you whether the change has been approved and the contract altered.

Changing employers

Sometimes there is a need to change employers during a training contract.

Your training contract may be transferred to another employer if you, your current employer and your new employer all agree. The new employer must be registered with Regulation and Contract Management (RCM). 

Complete the Transfer to a new employer application form and send it to RCM using the instructions on the form.

RCM will write to you to confirm the change, provided there is no break in service between employers. If your probationary period has already elapsed, you will not be required to serve any further probation with your new employer.

If your employer’s business is sold, your apprenticeship or traineeship automatically transfers to the new employer.

Changing the number of work hours

If your part-time arrangement (number of hours in work and training) needs to change, this change needs to be reflected on your training contract as it affects the term or duration of the training.

For example, you may change from 26 to 30 hours per week, or go from 25 to 20 hours.

Regardless of the change, you must advise Regulation and Contract Management (RCM) of the new arrangements; you must also meet the minimum number of hours for the length of your training contract. You can read the Minimum hours in training and employment guideline on the Training and Skills Commission website.

Both you and your employer must agree to the changes.

To apply to change your hours, complete the application form.

Changing to full-time or part-time

If you were initially employed under a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship and have left school, or are no longer enrolled in SACE, you will need to change your contract. This will be from a part-time (school-based) apprenticeship or traineeship to a part-time or full-time (non-school-based) apprenticeship or traineeship.

Similarly, if you have been working full-time in your apprenticeship or traineeship but wish to change (temporarily or permanently) to a part-time arrangement, you will need to change your contract. 

Regardless of the change you must meet the minimum required hours of employment and training. You can read the Minimum hours in training and employment guideline on the Training and Skills Commission website.

Both you and your employer must agree to the changes.

To apply to change your hours of employment and training, complete the application form.

Changing training providers

You and your employer may decide that it is necessary to change your training provider. It might be that the provider hasn’t been offering the service expected, or that mid-way through the term of the contract, they stop delivering the qualification in South Australia.

If you and your employer agree, you also need to advise the old and new training provider that you intend to change. 

The new training provider will need to negotiate a new training plan for you.

Both you and your employer, and the new training provider, will need to agree to this change.

To apply to change training provider, complete the application form.

Changing your qualification

You can apply to change the qualification you are studying through your apprenticeship or traineeship. This usually occurs when an updated version of your qualification becomes available.

If you change to a higher level qualification this may increase the term of the training contract (e.g. if you change from Certificate II to Certificate III), while changing to a lower level qualification may decrease the term of the training contract.

If you are seeking to vary your trade or vocation, your employer will first need to be registered to employ apprentices or trainees in your new trade or vocation. You can check the scope of your employer’s registration at the Training and Skills Commission website.

If your training contract commenced on or after 2 February 2017, then you will not need to apply to update your qualification if a new version of the same qualification becomes available. This change will instead be applied for on your behalf by the Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

To apply to change your vocation or qualification, complete the application form.

Completing your apprenticeship or traineeship

How can my apprenticeship or traineeship be completed?

  • when you and your employer agree that competency in the workplace has been achieved
  • your training provider has certified that you have completed the qualification specified in the training contract
  • you and your employer have submitted an application to Regulation and Contract Management (RCM) to complete your training contract.

To apply to complete your training contract, complete and sign the form and send it to RCM along with evidence of completion of the qualification you studied through your training contract. This evidence can either be a copy of your qualification, or a signed letter from your training provider indicating that the qualification has been successfully completed. This letter must include a course code and a parchment number.

We will notify you with the outcome of your application in writing. If the application is approved, apprentices are issued a trade certificate and trainees a notice of completion.

Extending an apprenticeship or traineeship

Training contract extensions should only be necessary in exceptional circumstances, for instance:

  • if there are significant delays or interruptions to the training beyond the control of you or your employer
  • if you and your employer decide you need more time to demonstrate you are competent to industry standards. 

If you are seeking an extension to provide sufficient time to complete your training, you and your training provider should discuss how much time is required to complete this training before submitting an extension application.

You and your employer must agree how much additional time you need and submit an extension application in advance of the expiry date of the training contract. Training contracts cannot be extended once the end date has passed.

To apply to extend your training contract, complete the application form.

Terminating an apprenticeship or traineeship

A Training Contract may only be terminated by Regulation and Contract Management (RCM), under delegation from the Training and Skills Commission, or by order of the South Australian Employment Tribunal.

To apply to terminate your Training Contract, complete the termination application form and send it to RCM following the instructions on the form. A termination application will generally be approved if both you and your employer agree to the termination. You will be notified of the outcome of your application in writing.

The South Australian Employment Tribunal may also order the termination of a Training Contract following the lodgement of a dispute or grievance with them.

We recommend that you call RCM on 1800 673 097 prior to signing the termination application form for an explanation of your rights and obligations.

We will notify you of the outcome of your application in writing.

Suspending an apprenticeship or traineeship

You may request a suspension to your apprenticeship or traineeship for reasons such as non-work related injury or illness (after using all your sick leave provisions), or personal reasons.

Employers may request a suspension for reasons such as a downturn in work or the relocation of business premises.

You and your employer must both agree to the suspension period.

To apply to suspend your training contract, complete the application form.

Withdrawing during the probationary period

A probationary period is built into training contracts as a way of allowing trainees, apprentices and their employers to withdraw from the apprenticeship or traineeship shortly after commencement if either you or your employer decides it is not for you.

If you want to withdraw, you must notify your employer in writing. Likewise, if the employer wants to withdraw, they must notify you in writing.

Note that probationary periods cannot be extended.

Employers must notify Regulation and Contract Management (RCM) of the withdrawal in writing within seven days; they can either write a letter or use the withdrawal application form.

Once actioned, RCM will confirm your withdrawal from the training contract in writing.

For more information

If you can’t find the information or form you need, contact Regulation and Contract Management.

Print Page

Please help us improve our website by rating our page.

How useful was this page?

Thank you for rating our page.

I would like to give more feedback.

Welcome to Skills for All

Welcome to our new website for career, training, apprenticeship and traineeship, funding and workforce information. Training providers and apprenticeship and traineeship users can log in to STELA, ATIS and their Skills for All Provider Application from this home page.

For information about Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology policies, science, research and digital technology services, and news releases visit

For help to find what you need, call our Infoline on 1800 506 266.