Sustainable design consultant​

Sustainable design consultants advise a range of clients (residential, commercial or government) to make sure that products, services and buildings improve environmental performance and reduce environmental impact.

Where sustainable design consultants are employed

They may work for federal, state and territory government departments, statutory authorities and local councils, engineering and environmental consultants or in areas such as the minerals and energy industries or climate change research. There are also opportunities for self-employment as consultants.

How to become one

Usually you need a degree in science or engineering with a focus on environment studies. At school consider doing English, mathematics, chemistry, physics and physical sciences.  

For information on course admission requirements and how to apply to the universities and TAFE in South Australia visit the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

Check South Australian Universities at The University of Adelaide, Flinders University and University of South Australia.

For information about Australian universities visit Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT).

You might also be interested in

Useful links


Career information has been sourced from government publications. See data sources for more information.
Print Page

Please help us improve our website by rating our page.

How useful was this page?

Thank you for rating our page.

I would like to give more feedback.

Welcome to Skills for All

Welcome to our new website for career, training, apprenticeship and traineeship, funding and workforce information. Training providers and apprenticeship and traineeship users can log in to STELA, ATIS and their Skills for All Provider Application from this home page.

For information about Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology policies, science, research and digital technology services, and news releases visit

For help to find what you need, call our Infoline on 1800 506 266.