How to enrol for training​

Enrol for training at your chosen Training Provider.

What to take with you when you enrol

When you enrol, your Training Provider will assess whether you meet entry requirements of the course and do an upfront assessment of your learning and support needs. They will also verify your eligibility and collect some personal information including:

  • Proof of citizenship
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of previous learning if you are claiming Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). See RPL information.
  • Employment Service Provider name
  • Participant job seeker ID.

Upfront assessment of learning and support needs

Your Training Provider will conduct an assessment of your learning and support needs before you can enrol in a course. This should ensure you have the best chance of success in your course of choice by finding out more about your individual needs.

The process includes:

  • checking if your Employment Service Provider has provided you with a referral to training
  • discussing whether the course is a good fit for you and providing you with detailed information relating to the course
  • assessing your reading and maths skills, and sometimes writing as well, to make sure that any additional learning support needs are addressed
  • discussing with you whether there are any personal/life issues that could interfere with your training, and planning to provide support where needed.

By discussing these before enrolment, your training provider can work with you to identify early what is needed to help you achieve your training goals and record the strategies in a Learning and Support Plan.

What to know before enrolling

Student/Participant Number and Participant Agreement

If you enrol in a government subsidised course you are given a Participant Number (prior to 1 July 2015 it was known as a Skills for All Student Number). You cannot access government subsidised training without this.

This number stays with you and is used for any further subsidised training.

To get a Participant Number, you need to provide some personal details and sign a Participant Agreement. Your Training Provider will ask you to complete a Participant Agreement and write your Participant Number on the top of the form.

If you are a new student you may receive confirmation of this number by text message or email from the Department for Industry and Skills (DIS).

This number is used by the Training Provider and DIS to record your participation in and your results of government subsidised training.  

Your personal information may also be used to determine future eligibility for subsidised courses and for statistical purposes, including reporting to other bodies.

Keep a record of your Participant Number particularly if you plan to do further study. If you misplace your Participant Number you can call the Infoline on 1800 506 266 or ask your Training Provider to search for your number.

Collecting Information

The Participant Agreement sets out the purposes for which personal information is collected by the Minister and how it will be used. The Department for Industry and Skills (DIS ), on behalf of The Minister collects, uses, stores and discloses information only in accordance with the South Australian Information Privacy Principles.

Freedom of Information

If you require access to your personal information held by DIS, call the Infoline on 1800 506 266 who will advise you of the process you need to follow. In some cases you may need to apply through the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 1991.

The Freedom of Information Act 1991 (FOI Act) gives you the right, subject to certain restrictions, to make an application to access your personal information held by DIS . You can request your records personally or through another person acting with your authority (ie a solicitor). The FOI Act gives you the right to apply to have your personal information held by DIS amended if it is incorrect, out of date or misleading.

Call the Infoline on 1800 506 266 for more information about:

  • making an FOI application
  • fees and charges that may apply and
  • access to application forms.

Unique Student Identifier

The Unique Student Identifier (USI) scheme links every student who undertakes nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training (VET) in Australia to an online account that contains all your enrolment and achievement records completed from 1 January 2015 onwards. This will make it easy for you to provide evidence of your academic results, for example when applying for a job or enrolling in further study.

You must have a USI if you are studying in Australia.

You can apply for your own USI or your training provider can apply for a USI on your behalf, with your permission. When applying for a USI, you will be asked to supply information that can be verified by the Australian Government’s Document Verification Service, such as a Medicare card or Driver's Licence. When using an accepted form of identification, the USI should be available within minutes.

Visit the USI website to create your USI or call the Skilling Australia Information line on 133 873.

Print Page

Please help us improve our website by rating our page.

How useful was this page?

Thank you for rating our page.

I would like to give more feedback.

Welcome to Skills for All

Welcome to our new website for career, training, apprenticeship and traineeship, funding and workforce information. Training providers and apprenticeship and traineeship users can log in to STELA, ATIS and their Skills for All Provider Application from this home page.

For information about Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology policies, science, research and digital technology services, and news releases visit

For help to find what you need, call our Infoline on 1800 506 266.