Concessions, VET student loans and allowances​

Fee concessions, scholarships and grants, VET student loans and living allowances can help with study and living costs while you’re training.


A Training Provider must offer you a concession if you:

  • hold a health care card
  • hold a pensioner concession card
  • hold a pensioner concession card issued by the Department of Veteran Affairs
  • are a prison inmate, a detainee, on remand, held in a South Australian institution in connection with the commission of an offence, or a child in a South Australian detention centre older than 16 years.

To claim a concession you must show the relevant concession card and state your Centrelink customer reference number and the expiry date on your card.

If you qualify for a concession your course fees will be lower. Ask your Training Provider how much they will be charging you for their course with a concession.

TAFE SA scholarships and grants

TAFE SA offers financial help through scholarships and grants

VET Student Loans

If you’re studying some higher level VET courses (diploma and above) with an approved VET provider, you may be able to get a VET Student Loan.

An approved VET provider is a registered training organisation who has been approved by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training to offer VET Student Loans to their students.

You can get a VET Student Loan if you are:

  • a student of any age
  • an Australian citizen or a permanent humanitarian visa holder who is resident in Australia for the duration of study
  • studying toward a diploma and above
  • studying with an approved VET training provider.

A VET Student Loan student loan allows you to borrow funds to help pay for all or part of your tuition fees. The Australian Government will pay your fees to your training provider on your behalf. When you get a job you pay the loan back through the taxation system once your income is above the minimum repayment threshold. There is a VET Student Loan limit which is a lifetime limit and is not reset by any repayments that you make.

Training Providers that are approved VET Student Loan providers can offer a VET Student Loan to government subsidised students as well as to fee-for-service students. Apply through your training provider to access a VET Student Loan.

For a list of training providers approved to offer VET Student Loans, see approved VET providers.

VET Student Loans program commenced on 1 January 2017, replacing the VET FEE HELP scheme, which ceased on 31 December 2016.

For more information about approved courses covered under VET Student Loans, and details for students and training providers, visit VET Student Loans or contact the HELP Student Enquiry line on 1800 020 108.


Living and other allowances available to eligible students include:

  • Youth Allowance is for full-time students or Australian apprentices aged 16 to 24 and people aged under 21 who are looking for full-time work or undertaking a combination of approved activities.
  • Austudy is for full-time students and Australian Apprentices aged 25 years or over.
  • Fares Allowance is for tertiary students who are living away from their permanent home to study.
  • ABSTUDY offers a range of allowances to help Indigenous students and Australian Apprentices.
  • Assistance for Isolated Children is for families with a child who cannot attend school locally because of distance or special needs.
  • Pensioner Education Supplement helps pensioners on income support to get help with education expenses.
  • Saver Plus Program helps you save for training costs such as computers, text books and trade tools by matching your savings, dollar for dollar.

Check if you are eligible for a student payment with Centrelink's Student income support eligibility information tool.

Print Page

Please help us improve our website by rating our page.

How useful was this page?

Thank you for rating our page.

I would like to give more feedback .

Welcome to Skills for All

Welcome to our new website for career, training, apprenticeship and traineeship, funding and workforce information. Training providers and apprenticeship and traineeship users can log in to STELA, ATIS and their Skills for All Provider Application from this home page.

For information about Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology policies, science, research and digital technology services, and news releases visit

For help to find what you need, call our Infoline on 1800 506 266.