Concessions, VET student loans and allowances​

Fee concessions, scholarships and grants, VET student loans and living allowances can help with study and living costs while you’re training.


A WorkReady Training Provider must offer you a concession if you are enrolling through WorkReady, and if you:

  • hold a health care card, or
  • hold a pensioner concession card, or
  • hold a pensioner concession card issued by the Department of Veteran Affairs, or
  • are a prison inmate, a detainee, on remand, held in a South Australian institution in connection with the commission of an offence, or a child in a South Australian detention centre older than 16 years.

To claim a concession you must show the relevant concession card and state your Centrelink customer reference number and the expiry date on your card.

If you qualify for a concession your course fees will be lower. Ask your Training Provider how much they will be charging you for their course with a concession.

Equipped for Work

Equipped for Work supports eligible individuals by reimbursing them for the costs of goods and services that are required for the commencement of an apprenticeship or traineeship.

For more information see Incentives for employers of apprentices and trainees​.

TAFE SA scholarships and grants

TAFE SA offers financial help through scholarships and grants

VET Student Loans (formerly VET FEE HELP)

VET Student Loans can help you pay tuition fees for some Diploma and above level courses. The Australian Government pays your loan directly to your course provider. If the loan doesn’t cover the full course fee, you pay the gap. Once your income is over a certain amount, you start repaying your debt.

VET Student Loans eligibility

You can apply for a VET student loan, if you are:

  • an Australian citizen, or
  • a qualifying New Zealand citizen, or
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder who is usually resident in Australia
  • studying a VET Student Loans approved course with an approved course provider.

Training Providers that are approved VET Student Loan providers can offer a VET Student Loan to government subsidised students. Apply through your training provider to access a VET Student Loan.

For more information about VET Student Loans and a list of approved providers, visit VET Student Loans, or call the HELP Student Enquiry line on 1800 020 108.

VET Student Loan complaints

The VET Student Loans Ombudsman handles student complaints regarding VET Student Loans and VET FEE HELP. If you or someone you know has an issue or complaint about VET Student Loans or VET FEE HELP, visit the Commonwealth Ombudsman or call 1300 362 072.

If you need assistance with making a complaint, visit Office of the Training Advocate or call 1800 006 488.


Living and other allowances available to eligible students include:

  • Youth Allowance is for full-time students or Australian apprentices aged 16 to 24 and people aged under 21 who are looking for full-time work or undertaking a combination of approved activities.
  • Austudy is for full-time students and Australian Apprentices aged 25 years or over.
  • Fares Allowance is for tertiary students who are living away from their permanent home to study.
  • ABSTUDY offers a range of allowances to help Indigenous students and Australian Apprentices.
  • Assistance for Isolated Children is for families with a child who cannot attend school locally because of distance or special needs.
  • Pensioner Education Supplement helps pensioners on income support to get help with education expenses.
  • Saver Plus Program helps you save for training costs such as computers, text books and trade tools by matching your savings, dollar for dollar.

Check if you are eligible for a student payment with Centrelink's Student income support eligibility information tool.

Print Page

Please help us improve our website by rating our page.

How useful was this page?

Thank you for rating our page.

I would like to give more feedback.

Welcome to Skills for All

Welcome to our new website for career, training, apprenticeship and traineeship, funding and workforce information. Training providers and apprenticeship and traineeship users can log in to STELA, ATIS and their Skills for All Provider Application from this home page.

For information about Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology policies, science, research and digital technology services, and news releases visit

For help to find what you need, call our Infoline on 1800 506 266.